Greetings bold soul!
Does vivid, surprising colour spark a joy in you that words don’t go anywhere near?
You’ve come to the right place :) Welcome, kindred spirit!
I believe that each nourished soul brings a little sanity back into the world. My work is about making that happen with colourful, joyous art.
I believe the world is crying out for people who are in touch with their joy, their sanity, their individuality. Those uplifted parts of ourselves are very real and present, yet sometimes we seem to need a prompt. Like a warm hug, the smell of jasmine or dancing freely to music that moves you, do you feel – as I do – that vibrant colour is a sure sign that life is good and joyful? My artwork offers a way to give a wide berth to the generic and set your enthusiasm free!
My first and still significant teacher was a knowing old lady in a floral dress. In her 60s, she wasn’t much taller than I was at 7.
Imagine her showing me and the other enraptured children how to magically make a picture – right before our young eyes! Starting with a sheet of (very good) white paper and chatting all the while about colour and famous artists as though she knew them personally (some she did!) Ruth shaped my sensibility early in my life – so much so that it’s not always easy to put into words – and she thoroughly instilled in me and intrigued me with the possibilities of art and especially colour! The lessons were punctuated with her surprisingly deep irreverent laugh, and a implicit belief in us that has stayed with me.
I learned from and taught for Ruth Tuck for many years. I’ve also studied Graphic Design – twice! – and other things, both in person and using the wondrous internet.
Between the age of 7 and now I’ve lived through my fair share of experiences, the long-winded details of which I won’t recount here – you’ll hear them crop up from time to time in my blog! Suffice to say that the bumper sticker statements “Shit Happens” and “Miracles Happen” both ring equally true to me!
You won’t find here:
- limited or muted colour pallettes
- sweeping landscape vistas
You will find:
- an abundance of nasturtiums and other perfectly common garden flowers
- colour that resonates
- domesticity vivified
- accessible, multi-coloured muses
- Essence of Happy Place
- oh, and a generous handful of very sweet feline interlopers :)
If I’m not painting, I might be:
- methodically making my way through seasons of Modern Family, Doctor Who or Glee,
- watering my nasturtiums and fruit trees with washing machine rinse water via an array of bright plastic buckets,
- at the Farmers Market, or yoga or circus classes,
- throwing up my hands in dismay at a building industry that seems oblivious to the benefits of passive solar architecture – for the love of our planet will someone please tell house designers to face the living areas North? (in the Southern Hemisphere),
- at a meeting to get the local community garden up and running, or
- dyeing (badly) errant white, cream and grey clothing one of the many wondrous hues of purple.
I would be ‘well chuffed’ if you chose to download free bookmarks with my art on them! Colour and musings can be found at my blog and about once a month I send out a Bold Soul eNewsletter – that’s where to catch things first!
Come on this curious adventure with me!
Meg x o