Wow, 50 Live Bold Lists – how exciting! This is seriously a testament to keeping at it one blog post at a time!
For this one, I tried to figure out why when I create ‘people pictures’ I steer towards the medium of lino printing.
Bold List 50: 6 Reasons I make lino prints of Bold Women
- Simplicity. I ‘force’ myself to design with simplicity in this medium. Which leads to:
- … celebrating the person or idea (or both) with bold visual representation. Carefully chosen lines and shapes, and
- … a strong overall composition. Cogitating about the composition for ages – so it says what I want to say clearly, even if this means trying and re-trying … not just re-doing the sketching, but on occasion entire re-design/re-carve/re-print/re-paint! It took several goes to make the final simple layout for *First Fig*.
- It’s super fun and inclusive to experiment with rainbows of cat coat and human colours in small editions of prints. Like *Speak With Love* or *Welcome Cat (the lino print)*.
- The sheer visceral un-rushable pace of creating a lino print; from designing and carving an image where there was none, to printing and painting. A measured pace compared to other everyday activities, like say watching TV or driving fast on a freeway!
- To amplify the visibility of a snippet or thought in a real human woman’s life, to acknowledge and celebrate my or someone else’s everyday story. Like above when I got thyroid medication made from pig thyroid glands, and below where I celebrate friendship and the universal vibration of the purr of a cat.
Did you know?
All the lino prints shown here appear in my 2019 Bold Art Calendar (Bold Women theme)?
I’ve had a heckuva week… I’ll tell you about it once the dust has settled, but for now, from the midst of the dust, I say: “Acknowledge and appreciate your everyday, dear kindred spirit!”
Meg x o
PS2 If you want to hear from me beyond (yet including) blog posts like this, sign up for my mailing list using the little ‘form’ in the sidebar or below – you also immediately get fun free gifts and a code for 10% off 2019 calendars!
PS3 I’d be grateful if you’d show my blog to your bold women friends – if you think they’d like this kind of thing, of course! Thank you!