In which I put forward that the maligned blog format, a list – sometimes fondly (or not) known as a listicle – is as valid as other post structures.
Live Bold List 48: In defense of Listicles
- I think a list can be just as deep, complex, beautiful and connecty as another article! It depends how you approach reading and writing them… I like the structure of a list and try to write as much detail and explanation as I would in a well-edited sentence or paragraph.
- A list is a ‘specially relatable format if you are an organised and action oriented person.
- Calling it a listicle kind of indicates they’re ephemeral or melty like a popsicle, right? Or is it a reference somehow to a testicle (which they also rhyme with)? << Not gonna follow that train of thought! I think lists are as strong and lasting as their content, not weakened by their structure.
- My preference with prose is for it to be nicely broken up, illustrated, have headers, and maybe even small numbered/bulleted sections. Why not introduce with a sentence, have the bulk as some hearty listiness and even illustrate within the listicle? (Or not, as today).
- I love doing a link list to cool stuff I’ve found on the net, and finding new things that way, too!
- It’s a great ‘limitation’ to make sure you’re succinct! The numbering somehow guides you/me/the writer to make points clearly, which I think is a good thing.
- I myself have written about 48 list posts – I like ’em! Happy to share thoughts, feelings or other points in a list!
In other news
What are your thoughts on list blog posts, dear one?
Love Meg x o
PS 2 Go Australia! The postal vote came back with a majority saying “yes” to marriage equality! Of course we want to treat everyone as equally able to marry under the law! Want a celebratory tshirt? Go here :)
PS 3 We do however have a lot of work to do regarding welcoming guests in distress. :( Here are 2 sites where you can help: Asylum Seeker Resource Centre and Gifts for Manus and Nauru (the second is where you pay for phone credit so folk can keep in touch with their people).
PS 4 See below or click this to check out my November Print of the Month, Vincent’s Surprise Guavas :) Limited numbers <3